Notes: The line from Bradford to Thornton via
Queensbury was opened as a joint venture between the Lancashire
& Yorkshire Railway and the Great Northern Railway between
1876 and 1878. Once out of Bradford, the line was mostly rural
and necessitated the construction of many earthworks, viaducts
and tunnels. Its hilly nature earned it the nicknames of 'the
Alpine route' or 'the switchback' from its loyal drivers.
Clayton station had an island platform, typical of Great Northern
construction. It had a small but busy goods yard and during
the heyday of the line was used for separating the Bradford,
Keighley & Halifax portions of goods trains.
Goods services ceased in 1961, but the line through Clayton
remained in use until 28/06/65 for trains serving the goods
yard at Thornton.
The only possible remains of the station today is a short length
of wall beside a path leading to the site of the station (see
To see the other
stations on the Halifax - Bradford - Keighley lines click on
the station name: Halifax
St. Pauls, Pellon,
Horton Park, Manchester
Road, St. Dunstan's,
Adolphus Street, Thornton,