Notes: The line from Halifax to Queensbury was
opened by the Halifax & Ovenden Joint Railway 1874 and 1878.
The line was extended to Keighley in 1884. Once out of Halifax,
the line was mostly rural and necessitated the construction
of many earthworks, viaducts and tunnels. Its hilly nature earned
it the nicknames of 'the Alpine route' or 'the switchback' from
its loyal drivers.
Despite being the first station to open, the construction of
Halifax North Bridge probably caused the biggest headache. Firstly,
massive slum clearances had to be undertaken to build a 400
yard viaduct from Halifax (Old) station. Then, the North Bridge
carrying the main road into the town from Leeds and Bradford
had to be demolished and rebuilt 11 ft higher to clear the tracks.
Another viaduct had to be built north of the station to clear
a culvert, and then the line ascended steeply through the Woodside
tunnel, where a landslip delayed construction of the line northwards
for twelve months.
Whilst the station boasted a large goods yard to cater for
the coal traffic serving the nearby gasworks, the passenger
facilities were cramped & gloomy and were not particularly
well used - the main station (Halifax Old, later renamed Halifax
Town and then just Halifax) was barely a mile away and had much
Although goods facilities at North Bridge station ceased in
1960 with the closure of the High Level branch to St. Pauls,
the goods yard and coal depot were the last part of the entire
line to be closed in 1974 when the site was cleared for a supermarket,
car park and leisure centre.
To see the other stations on
the Halifax - Bradford - Keighley lines click on the station
name: Halifax St.
Horton Park, Manchester
Road, St. Dunstan's,
Adolphus Street, Thornton,
& Ingrow East