Notes: The line from Bradford to Thornton via
Queensbury was opened as a joint venture between the Lancashire
& Yorkshire Railway and the Great Northern Railway between
1876 and 1878. Once out of Bradford, the line was mostly rural
and necessitated the construction of many earthworks, viaducts
and tunnels. Its hilly nature earned it the nicknames of 'the
Alpine route' or 'the switchback' from its loyal drivers.
Manchester Road station had an exceptionally short life, being
closed as a wartime economy measure in 1915. It was reopened
after the war but only for goods.
The line from Manchester Road curved round sharply at the St.
Dunstan's station triangle and terminated at Bradford exchange.
The line never had a direct connection to Leeds (except for
the occasional excursions or chartered trains), so passengers
for Leeds or London had to change at either St. Dunstan's or
Bradford Exchange. For people living near Manchester Road station,
the local tram service offered a more convenient route to the
city centre. As a result, the station was little used by passengers,
which contributed to its early closure.
Manchester Road station did however have an extensive goods
yard which was well used by the textile industry in its early
days. Towards the end in 1959, it was mostly used for storage
of wagons used on the goods only City Road branch, which closed
in 1972. After closure of Manchester Road to goods in 1963,
a single track through the site remained in use until 1972 for
trains serving the goods yard at Great Horton.
To see the other
stations on the Halifax - Bradford - Keighley lines click on
the station name: Halifax
St. Pauls, Pellon,
Park, St. Dunstan's,
Adolphus Street, Thornton,
& Ingrow East