Station Name: GREAT HORTON

 

[Source: Chris Armour]


Date opened: 14.10.1878
Location: On the east side of Beckside Road
Company on opening: Great Northern Railway
Date closed to passengers: 23.5.1955
Date closed completely: 28.6.1965
Company on closing: British Railways (North Eastern Region)
Present state: Demolished - a bathroom factory and industrial park now stands on the site. The overbridge on the Queensbury side of the station and most of the station yard wall is still intact.
County: Yorkshire
OS Grid Ref: SE143320
Date of visit: October 2005

Notes: The line from Bradford to Thornton via Queensbury was opened as a joint venture between the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and the Great Northern Railway between 1876 and 1878. Once out of Bradford, the line was mostly rural and necessitated the construction of many earthworks, viaducts and tunnels. Its hilly nature earned it the nicknames of 'the Alpine route' or 'the switchback' from its loyal drivers.

Great Horton station had an extensive goods yard and while its passenger services were quite well used, its main business was the transportation of parcels and woolen bales, requiring several trains per day. Even after passenger services ceased in 1955, Great Horton station had a team of full time goods staff and a busy warehouse up to the very end in August 1972.

After leaving Great Horton station going towards Queensbury, the line passed through a very deep cutting, which has now been partly filled in and turned into a public park. To give some indication of just how deep this cutting was, trains using it had to pass under a sewer pipe, which was fitted with smoke deflectors. This pipe is still visible, but is now at the bottom of a crater, about fifteen feet below the current ground level and the sides of the cutting are still about thirty feet high!

To see the other stations on the Halifax - Bradford - Keighley lines click on the station name: Halifax St. Pauls, Pellon,
Halifax North Bridge, Ovenden, Holmfield, Queensbury, Clayton, Horton Park, Manchester Road, St. Dunstan's, Bradford Adolphus Street, Thornton, Denholme, Wilsden, Cullingworth & Ingrow East

 


Great Horton Station
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection




The site of Great Horton Station looking west in October 2005

Photo by Chris Armour


Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Chris Armour]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 08:34:51 BST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations