Notes: The line from Bradford to Thornton via
Queensbury was opened as a joint venture between the Lancashire
& Yorkshire Railway and the Great Northern Railway between
1876 and 1878. The line was extended to Keighley in 1884. Once
out of Bradford, the line was mostly rural and necessitated
the construction of many earthworks, viaducts and tunnels. Its
hilly nature earned it the nicknames of 'the Alpine route' or
'the switchback' from its loyal drivers.
In 1886 the GN opened a new station midway between Denholme
and Cullingworth. Although called Wilsden, it was two miles
away from the village of that name, but served the residents
of the hamlet of Harecroft, half a mile away. Even so, passenger
use was minimal. The station yard and storage warehouse had
a busy coal trade and in 1908 a siding was built to serve a
nearby stone quarry.
In May 2005 a section of the railway was brought back to life
as the Great
Northern Trail. The first section of the new trail runs
from Cullingworth to Harecroft Eventually the new trail will
cover a distance of 10 kilometres between Queensbury and Cullingworth
but it will be five years before it is completed.
The new trail is availbale for walkers, cyclists and horse
riders and is also suitable for wheelchairs. The section of
the trail already open includes two viaducts including the listed
Viaduct near Cullingworth.
Tickets from Michael Stewart
To see the other
stations on the Halifax - Bradford - Keighley lines click on
the station name: Halifax
St. Pauls, Pellon,
Road, St. Dunstan's,
Adolphus Street, Thornton,
& Ingrow East