Notes: The line from Bradford to Thornton via
Queensbury was opened as a joint venture between the Lancashire
& Yorkshire Railway and the Great Northern Railway between
1876 and 1878. Once out of Bradford, the line was mostly rural
and necessitated the construction of many earthworks, viaducts
and tunnels. Its hilly nature earned it the nicknames of 'the
Alpine route' or 'the switchback' from its loyal drivers.
Horton Park station was opened on 23.10.1880, two years after
its neighbours. It did not serve a particularly large residential
area and was built mainly to serve the adjacent Park Avenue
football ground. It was therefore busier at weekends and match
day traffic used the station on occasions even after normal
passenger services ceased in 1952.
After closure the station was still available for specials
for cricket and football matches at Park Avenue and the station
remained in use for occasional goods traffic until August 1972
when it was closed completely and the line was lifted.
To see the other
stations on the Halifax - Bradford - Keighley lines click on
the station name: Halifax
St. Pauls, Pellon,
Road, St. Dunstan's,
Adolphus Street, Thornton,
& Ingrow East