Station Name: HOLMFIELD

 

[Source: Chris Armour]

Date opened: 15.12.1879
Location: South of the junction of Shay Lane and Holdsworth Road
Company on opening: Halifax & Ovenden Joint Railway
Date closed to passengers: 23.5.1955
Date closed completely: 27.6.1960
Company on closing: British Railways (North Eastern Region)
Present state: Demolished - a private industrial complex now stands on the site. The overbridge and a bricked up entrance with a rusty lamp bracket can be seen, but nothing else remains.
County: Yorkshire
OS Grid Ref: SE084284
Date of visit: October 2005

Notes: The line from Halifax to Queensbury was opened by the Halifax & Ovenden Joint Railway 1874 and 1878. The line was extended to Keighley in 1884. Once out of Halifax, the line was mostly rural and necessitated the construction of many earthworks, viaducts and tunnels. Its hilly nature earned it the nicknames of 'the Alpine route' or 'the switchback' from its loyal drivers.

Holmfield station was built with extensive good facilities to serve the nearby woollen mills. It was also the point at which trains reversed on to the Halifax High Level branch and was used by passengers from this line as an interchange for journeys on to Keighley.

After passenger services ceased in 1955, the station was kept open for goods traffic using the High Level line, but once this ceased in 1960, Holmfield station was closed and the track was lifted.

To see the other stations on the Halifax - Bradford - Keighley lines click on the station name: Halifax St. Pauls, Pellon,
Halifax North Bridge, Ovenden, Queensbury, Clayton, Great Horton, Horton Park, Manchester Road, St. Dunstan's, Bradford Adolphus Street, Thornton, Denholme, Wilsden, Cullingworth & Ingrow East


Holmfield Station in 1955


Holmfield Station looking south in January 1965
Copyright photo by Robin Lush

Site of Holmfield Station in October 2005 - the former entrance can be seen on the right
Photo by Chris Armour


Before 1906

Holmfield shed
July 1935

January 1965

2005


Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Chris Armour]



Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 10:14:10 BST
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations