Notes: Saltney Ferry station opened on 1.1.1891 and was part
of the LNWR Saltney near Chester to Denbigh line. Strictly speaking
this station was on the Chester to Holyhead main line as it was
situated to the east of Mold Junction the point at which the Denbigh
line diverged. At this point the main line consisted of four tracks
and the station was located on the slow lines. It only ever catered
for Denbigh line trains. The station had a single island platform
accessed by steps from the Saltney Ferry Road overbridge.
Although this line could never be described as a main line it
did host regular passenger services between Corwen, Ruthin, Denbigh,
Mold and Chester although by the early 1960's the only service
to operate was the all stations Chester General to Denbigh and
Ruthin service which usually consisted of only two coaches.
Saltney Ferry station stood next to Mold Junction Motive Power
Depot (MPD) and it would have been a busy location with railwaymen
coming and going. However it closed to passengers on 30.4.1962
and nothing of its platform remains. The MPD that stood next to
the station is still standing.
To see the other
stations on the Chester - Denbigh line click on the station name:
& Bretton, Kinnerton,
Low Level, Padeswood
& Buckley, Llong,
Star Crossing, Nannerch,