Station Name: SEEDLEY

 

[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]



Date opened: 1.5.1882
Location: On the west side of Langworthy Road (A5186)
Company on opening: London & North Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 2.1.1956
Date closed completely: 2.1.1956
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SJ804983
Date of visit: 2003

Notes: Seedley Station opened on the original Liverpool and Manchester Railway on the 1.5.1882. By this time the Manchester conurbation had spread to this area and the station would have been opened to service this development.

Seedley Station closed completely on 2.1.1956. Sections of its walls can be seen on the south side of the line. The rest of the station has been demolished.

By the end of the 19th Century the line at this point was four tracks wide. In the 1980's the M602 Motorway was constructed adjacent to the Liverpool and Manchester Railway at this point; the mororway now occupies part of the widened trackbed

To see the other closed stations on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway click on the station name: Liverpool Crown Street, Huyton Quarry, Lea Green, Collins Green, Parkside 1st, Parkside 2nd, Kenyon Junction, Glazebury and Bury Lane, Flow Moss, Astley, Lambs Cottage, Barton Moss 1st, Barton Moss 2nd, Weaste, Cross Lane, Ordsall Lane, Manchester Liverpool Road

 


The site of Seedley Station looking west in 2003. Parts of the station wall can be seen in the picture.
Photo by Bevan Price



 

 

 

[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:10:25 BST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations