Notes: Sealand Rifle Range Halt was located on the London & North Eastern Railway’s (LNER) Wrexham Central to Bidston Junction line. The section of line on which the halt stood had been opened by the Dee and Birkenhead Committee, a joint concern consisting of the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR) and the Wrexham, Mold & Connahs Quay Railway (WM&CQR) on 18th May 1896.
Sealand Rifle Range Halt opened to serve an adjacent military rifle range in June 1923. It was probably a very basic affair consisting only of platforms. There were no timetabled trains at the time of opening. The Halt would have been served by scheduled trains that stopped by arrangement or by special workings. The regular services ran between Seacombe and Wrexham Central and between Seacombe and Chester Northgate.
Sealand Rifle Range Halt was listed in 1938 as for Military use only, and it was shown in a 1947 timetable which listed several request stops daily.
On 1st January 1948 the halt became part of the nationalised British Railways’ Eastern Region, but some months later the ex-LNER lines in NE Wales and the Wirral were transferred to the London Midland Region. It closed completely on 14th June 1954. Nothing survived of it by the 1960s.
The line is still open for passenger services operating between Bidston and Wrexham as part of the Borderlands service which, in March 2011, was operated by Arriva trains Wales.
Route map drawn by Alan Young.
To see other stations on the Wrexham Central to Bidston Line click
Wrexham Central, Wrexham Exchange, Rhosddu, Hope High Level, Buckley (1st station), Chester Golf Club Halt, Birkenhead Junction Golf Club Platform,
Burton Point, Storeton,
Liscard & Poulton, Seacombe
See also MS&LR Stations between Shotton and Chester Northgate
Chester Junction Golf Club Platform, Sealand, Saughall, Blacon, Chester Liverpool Road, Chester Northgate
See also related items
The Buckley Railway
Railways at Bidston