Station Name: BIRKENHEAD JUNCTION GOLF CLUB PLATFORM

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: 18.5.1896
Location: To the east of the site of Chester Junction which is now part of the Chester and Shotton cycleway.
Company on opening: Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway
Date closed to passengers: 20.9.1927
Date closed completely: 20.9.1927
Company on closing: London & North Eastern Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Flintshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ321702
Date of visit: 8.1.2005
Notes: Birkenhead Junction Golf Club Platform served Chester Golf Club and was situated on the Dee & Birkenhead Committee’s (D&BC) line between Hawarden Bridge and Bidston. The D&BC was a joint concern consisting of the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway (MS&LR) and the Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Quay Railway (WM&CQR). The MS&LR had opened a line from Chester Northgate to
the south bank of the River Dee via the Hawarden Bridge on 31st March 1890. It made an end-on connection with the WM&CQR who had opened a line from Buckley to the River Dee a few days earlier. At Buckley the line connected with the original WM&CQR line of 1866 which gave access to Wrexham. A through route had thereby been created between Chester and Wrexham that could compete with the Great Western Railway (GWR).

The MS&LR had ambitions to reach the River Mersey at Birkenhead, and it was for this reason that they lured the WM&CQR into the Dee & Birkenhead Committee venture. Bidston was on the Wirral Railway’s (WR) network. The WR had originally proposed a line to link with the WM&CQR, and they had even received an Act to build it, but they could not raise the capital. They were happy, therefore, to offer running rights over their network to the D&BC.

Work on the line began on 21st October 1892 and it opened on 18th May 1896; Birkenhead Junction Golf Club Platform opened on the same day. It replaced an earlier halt that served the Chester Golf Club, which had been further to the south, on the MS&LR Chester Northgate to Hawarden Bridge line.

Birkenhead Junction Golf Club Platform was situated just to the north of Birkenhead Junction, the point at which a line diverged from the Hawarden Bridge and Bidston line heading east to make a connection with the MS&LR line Chester line. The line allowed trains to run directly between Chester and Bidston and created a triangle of lines south of the station. At the same time as Birkenhead Junction Golf Club Platform opened so, too, did Chester Junction Golf Club Platform. It was located east of Chester Junction, the point at which the line from Birkenhead Junction merged with the MS&LR line.

Birkenhead Junction Golf Club Platform had two platforms. It appears not to have had any waiting facilities. A footpath connected the Chester Golf Course club house to the southbound platform at its southern end. The club house itself was a short distance to the southeast of the platform adjacent to the Chester connecting line. South of the southbound platform there was a signal box which controlled the Birkenhead Junction. West of the line, behind the northbound platform, was an area of sidings that led into a steelworks.

On 7th August 1896 the D&BC changed its name to the North Wales & Liverpool Committee (NW&LRC) and on 1st August 1897 the MS&LR

became the Great Central Railway (GCR). The GCR had been the driving force behind the Bidston line and they had pushed the WM&CQR beyond their financial limits: in 1897 the WM&CQR went into receivership.

Birkenhead Junction Golf Club Platform was not shown in the public timetable. It is likely that scheduled services called at the station by request. A regular passenger service between Seacombe and Chester Northgate and between Seacombe and Wrexham Central passed through the station.

On 1st January 1905 the GCR officially took over the WM&CQR; the lines between Wrexham and Bidston and to Chester Northgate – including Birkenhead Junction Golf Club Platform - therefore became GCR property. The station continued to serve the golf club throughout the GCR era and, after 1st January 1923, as a London & North Eastern Railway facility, but it
fell out of use after 20th September 1927.

The area surrounding the station continued to develop with numerous sidings serving the steelworks, which continued to expand until the 1970s. The connecting line from the Birkenhead Junction (renamed Hawarden North Junction and then later Dee Marsh Junction) closed on 20th April 1984. It reopened on 31st March 1986 but closed completely in June 1992.

In March 2011 Borderlands Line passenger services between Wrexham and Bidston still passed the site of Birkenhead Junction Golf Club Platform.

Ticket from Michael Stewart, Route map drawn by Alan Young

Sources:

To see other stations on the Wrexham Central to Bidston Line click

Wrexham Central, Wrexham Exchange, Rhosddu, Hope High Level, Buckley (1st station), Chester Golf Club Halt, Sealand Rifle Range Halt, Burton Point, Storeton,
See also
Liscard & Poulton, Seacombe

See also MS&LR Stations between Shotton and Chester Northgate
Chester Junction Golf Club Platform, Sealand, Saughall, Blacon, Chester Liverpool Road, Chester Northgate

See also related items

The Buckley Railway
Hawarden Loop
Hawarden Bridge

Railways at Bidston



Looking east towards the site of Chester Junction Golf Club Platform in April 1980. At this time the line through the site of the station was still open as a double track railway forming part of a freight route from Dee Marsh Junction (formerly Birkenhead Junction) to Mickle Trafford Junction.
P
hoto by John Mann


1911 1:2,500 map


It is impossible to access the site to get a current photograph. The halt was sited on the right side of the line just north of the buildings visible bottom centre. The buildings can also be seen in the 1980 picture above.


The actual station site is not accessible. This view taken in January 2005 shows a section of the disused Chester Northgate Line which joined the Wrexham to Bidston line just beyond the trees. This junction was the Birkenhead Junction after which the station was known. The station was just beyond it. The buildings seen in the 1980 picture are visible through the trees in the centre.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

May 2006

Click on thumbnail to enlarge




 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Sunday, 04-Jun-2017 08:45:29 BST
© 1998-2011 Disused Stations