Station Name: WILSDEN

 

[Source: Chris Armour]


Date opened: 1.7.1886
Location: At the end of Station Road
Company on opening: Great Northern Railway
Date closed to passengers: 23.5.1955
Date closed completely: 11.11.1963
Company on closing: British Railways (North Eastern Region)
Present state: The station has been demolished but the goods shed is extant
County: Yorkshire
OS Grid Ref: SE076354
Date of visit: October 2005

Notes: The line from Bradford to Thornton via Queensbury was opened as a joint venture between the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway and the Great Northern Railway between 1876 and 1878. The line was extended to Keighley in 1884. Once out of Bradford, the line was mostly rural and necessitated the construction of many earthworks, viaducts and tunnels. Its hilly nature earned it the nicknames of 'the Alpine route' or 'the switchback' from its loyal drivers.

In 1886 the GN opened a new station midway between Denholme and Cullingworth. Although called Wilsden, it was two miles away from the village of that name, but served the residents of the hamlet of Harecroft, half a mile away. Even so, passenger use was minimal. The station yard and storage warehouse had a busy coal trade and in 1908 a siding was built to serve a nearby stone quarry.

In May 2005 a section of the railway was brought back to life as the Great Northern Trail. The first section of the new trail runs from Cullingworth to Harecroft Eventually the new trail will cover a distance of 10 kilometres between Queensbury and Cullingworth but it will be five years before it is completed.

The new trail is availbale for walkers, cyclists and horse riders and is also suitable for wheelchairs. The section of the trail already open includes two viaducts including the listed Hewenden Viaduct near Cullingworth

To see the other stations on the Halifax - Bradford - Keighley lines click on the station name: Halifax St. Pauls, Pellon,
Halifax North Bridge, Ovenden, Holmfield, Queensbury, Clayton, Great Horton, Horton Park, Manchester Road, St. Dunstan's, Bradford Adolphus Street, Thornton, Denholme, Wilsden, Cullingworth & Ingrow East




Wilsden Station
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection





Wilsden goods shed October 2005

Photo by Chris Armour


Wilsden Station in 1955


 

 

 

[Source: Chris Armour]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:10:54 BST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations