Notes: Situated on the original Liverpool Overhead Railway
line opened in 1893 the station was originally called Custom
House as it stood near Liverpool's customs and excise building.
This was a magnificent structure by the architect John Foster,
which was destroyed by enemy action in 1940, its ruins being
cleared in 1949. In 1947 the station was renamed as Canning
after the nearby dock so as not to confuse visitors.
||Canning was a typical LOR station being located
on the elevated line 16 feet above street level on the iron
structure that carried the line above Liverpool's busy Dock
Road and directly above the Dock Boards railway which ran
throughout the length of the dock system linking the various
goods facilities. The platforms were reached by stairs that
led up from street level.
Only a couple of Overhead stations had platform canopies and
Canning was one of them. This was probably because of its former
location next to the important Custom House.
The line closed along with all of its stations on 30.12.1956 due to the structure corroding.
Canning station was demolished with the rest of the Overhead
Railway towards the end of 1957.
To see the other
stations on the Liverpool Overhead Railway click on the station
Dock, James Street,
Pier Head, Princes
Dock, Clarence Dock,
Nelson Dock, Sandon
Dock, Canada Dock,
for a brief history of the Liverpool Overhead Railway