Notes: James Street was one of the original Liverpool Overhead
Railway (LOR) stations opened in 1893. It was a typical LOR
station being located on the elevated line 16 feet above street
level on the iron structure that carried the line above Liverpool's
busy Dock Road.
||It was directly above the Dock Boards railway
which ran throughout the length of the dock system linking
the various goods facilities. Upon opening it was served
by trains between Herculaneum Dock and Alexandra Dock stations.
Between 1894 and 1905 extensions where made to Dingle in
the south and in two stages to Seaforth & Litherland
on the L&Y Liverpool to Southport line.
|James Street's platforms were connected to
the street by flights of stairs and ticket facilities were
on the platforms. There were three railways at this point
but at very different levels. The Overhead Line was above
street level, the Dock Railway beneath it at street level
and deep beneath the earth was the Mersey Railway which
also had a station nearby called James Street.
The line closed along with all of its stations on 30.12.1956 due to the structure corroding. James Street Station was demolished with the rest of the Overhead
Railway towards the end of 1957.
To see the other
stations on the Liverpool Overhead Railway click on the station
Pier Head, Princes
Dock, Nelson Dock,
Sandon Dock, Huskisson
Dock & Seaforth
for a brief history of the Liverpool Overhead Railway