[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 16.6.1930
Location: Within the Dock Estate some distance to the west of Regent Road
Company on opening: Liverpool Overhead Railway
Date closed to passengers: 30.12.1956
Date closed completely: 30.12.1956
Company on closing: Liverpool Overhead Railway
Present state: Demolished
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SJ330957
Date of visit: Not visited (no public access)

Notes: Gladstone Dock was the last station to open on the Liverpool Overhead Railway (LOR). It opened to serve the Gladstone Dock complex that had opened a couple of years earlier. It was a typical LOR station being located on the elevated line 16 feet above the busy quayside on the iron structure that carried the line for most of its length. Upon opening it was served by trains between Dingle and Seaforth & Litherland on the LMS Liverpool to Southport line.

To its east lay the large LMS 'North Mersey Goods Depot' and so access was only available to the Seaforth direction platform. Because of this the station was equipped with two footbridges which was unusual for the LOR. Passengers for Dingle had to walk up stairs to the Seaforth platform and then cross to the Dingle platform by one of the two bridges.

The line closed along with all of its stations on 30.12.1956 due to the structure corroding. For many months after closure LOR rolling stock was stored on the line at this point before it was broken up.

Gladstone Dock station was demolished with the rest of the Overhead Railway towards the end of 1957.

To see the other stations on the Liverpool Overhead Railway click on the station name: Dingle, Herculaneum Dock, Toxteth Dock, Brunswick Dock, Wapping Dock, Canning, James Street, Pier Head, Princes Dock, Clarence Dock, Nelson Dock, Sandon Dock, Huskisson Dock, Canada Dock, Brockleband Dock, Langton Dock, Alexandra Dock & Seaforth Sands

Click here for a brief history of the Liverpool Overhead Railway


Gladstone Dock Station in the 1930's

Click here for a brief history of the Liverpool Overhead Railway




:[Source: Paul Wright]

Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:11:21 BST
© 1998-2005 Disused Stations