Notes: Nelson Dock was a typical Liverpool Overhead Railway
station being located on the elevated line 16 feet above street
level on the iron structure that carried the line above Liverpool's
busy Dock Road and directly above the Dock Boards railway which
ran throughout the length of the dock system linking the various
goods facilities. It opened in 1896 as a replacement for Sandon.
When opened it was served by trains between Dingle and Seaforth
Sands stations. In 1905 an extension was made to Seaforth &
Litherland on the L&Y Liverpool to Southport line. The station
was connected to the street by stairs.
The line closed along with all of its stations on 30.12.1956 due to the structure corroding.
Nelson Dock Station was demolished with the rest of the Overhead
Railway towards the end of 1957.
To see the other
stations on the Liverpool Overhead Railway click on the station
Street, Pier Head,
Sandon Dock, Huskisson
Dock & Seaforth
for a brief history of the Liverpool Overhead Railway