Notes: Sandon Dock was one of the original stations of the Liverpool Overhead Railway (LOR) opening with the line on 6 March 1893. The LOR was an elevated railway that ran north/south along the Liverpool dock system. The line was 16 feet above street level carried on a steel structure. Beneath it ran the Mersey Dock & Harbour Board railway. At the time of opening the LOR ran between Herculaneum Dock in the south and Alexandra Dock in the north. The railway was worked by electricity from the start.
Sandon Dock station was located at the north-east corner of the dock after which it was named. To the east running parallel with the line was Regent Road which formed part of the Liverpool 'Dock Road'. To the east of Regent Road was the Sandon & Canada Dock Goods Station of the Midland Railway (MR) which had opened on 2 June 1873. The station was accessed via steps located at its southern end. It was provided with waiting shelters on each platform.
To the south of the station the line dropped down to street level via a steep incline so that it could pass under the North Docks Branch Railway of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. It then climbed back up again to resume its course as an elevated railway.
At first Sandon Dock was served by a high frequency train service running between Herculaneum and Alexandra Dock stations but from 30 April 1894 northbound trains continued over an extended section of line to Seaforth Sands.
Some time before May 1896 Sandon Dock station was closed and
replaced by Huskisson Dock located a short distance to its north and by Nelson Dock to its
south. It was still standing in 1927 but had been demolished by the end of the 1930s.
After the closure of Sandon Dock the LOR was extended to Dingle (21 December 1896) and to Seaforth & Litherland (2 July1905) and it became a very successful line carrying millions of passengers every year. In 1955 a structural survey found extensive corrosion of the structure that would have cost an estimated £2 Million. The LOR could not afford the cost and the line closed on 30 December 1956. It was demolished at the end of 1957.
Route map by Alan Young
- Seventeen Stations to Dingle - John W Gahan - Countyvise 1982
- The Dockers Umbrella - A History of the Liverpool Overhead Railway - Paul Bolger - The Bluecoat Press 1992.
- The Liverpool Overhead Railway - A Liverpool Echo Nostalgia Publication 2011
To see the other
stations on the Liverpool Overhead Railway click on the station
name: Dingle, Herculaneum Dock 1st,
Herculaneum Dock 2nd,
Street, Pier Head,
Nelson Dock, Huskisson
Dock & Seaforth
See also: Sandon & Canada Dock Goods
for a brief history of the Liverpool Overhead Railway