Notes: Wapping Dock was a typical LOR station being located
on the elevated line 16 feet above street level on the iron
structure that carried the line above Liverpool's busy Dock
Road and directly above the Dock Boards railway which ran throughout
the length of the dock system linking the various goods facilities.
||Upon opening it was served by trains between
Herculaneum Dock and Alexandra Dock stations. Between 1894
and 1905 extensions where made to Dingle in the south and
in two stages to Seaforth & Litherland on the L&Y
Liverpool to Southport line.
The line closed along with all of its stations on 30.12.1956 due to the structure corroding.
Wapping Dock station was demolished with the rest of the Overhead
Railway towards the end of 1957. Close to the site of the station
some sections of the original support pillars still survive
and can be seen clearly set into the former dock wall which
now forms the boundary of luxury apartments.
To see the other
stations on the Liverpool Overhead Railway click on the station
Street, Pier Head,
Nelson Dock, Sandon
Dock & Seaforth
for a brief history of the Liverpool Overhead Railway